My day on the Movie Set of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

My day started very early by leaving home at 4.15 to arrive at Pinewood Studios for a 6.00 start. After checking and signing in I half asleep made my way to the canteen for a cup of hot tea and some breakfast. The weather was freezing outside so a hot drink was what I needed to wake me and be prepared for a long day of filming ahead. I was then taken to the wardrobe department to collect my costume and after changing into my reporter's suit and coat I was then called into make-up where I was made up to look like an eighties reporter. By this time I was getting a little excited as I knew it was getting closer to getting on the set. After meeting up with my fellow reporters we were led down to the holding unit where our long wait ahead began. I was called to get my props which I didn't realise I was going to have. They handed me my security badge with my photo on it and my microphone. The weather began to get worse which was affecting the filming as it was being filmed all outside so everything had to stop until it passed. We sat around for almost 4 hours until we were called being fed and watered every hour. My feet were beginning to go numb as I only had a flimsy pair of tights on and lightweight shoes and my body was beginning to get cold too as I only had a thin Mac on but the excitement over took as my name was called out to go to the set. As we were led out we all started talking wondering what we were going to see. We were led into an amazing set which had been built outside to look like Charlie's house and the street where he lived. Then facing us as we walked further up was the huge Wonka Factory. It was truly amazing. They had snow machines on set and everything was white. You really felt as if you were there in real life not just on a film set. Tim Burton introduced himself to us in his very eccentric manner and told us a few rules and regulations and what he wanted us to do and it was Take One.

As Charlie and Grandpa Jo walked on my heart started thumping and then followed all the other children and parents. 'My God I am really here', I thought. We started with the families all walking into the Wonka factory after they had won their golden tickets. That's when I started to re-enact my reporters part of speaking into the microphone as if I was reporting for the local television. I think we actually ran the scene 10 times before Tim Burton was finally happy with it.

After a very exhausting 12 hours I left Pinewood Studios tired cold and wondered how on earth I am going to make that gruelling 2 hour journey home but I did somewhat quicker than expected as my mind wandered back to the wonderful time and experience I had and I can't wait until it comes to our screens Summer 2005.

Lesley Humphreys